Gemalto, a world leader in digital security, has announced the launch of a new virtualised network encryption platform, SafeNet Virtual Encryptor CV1000 as part of its continued investment to address the rapidly changing data security needs of organisations worldwide.
Enterprises and service providers are increasingly using network functions virtualisation (NFV) and software-defined networking (SDN) technologies to design, deploy and manage their networks and cloud-based services. These software-based technologies give organisations cost and operational benefits because they move network functions from dedicated network encryption hardware appliances to virtual servers. However, these technologies can also present additional security challenges for protecting sensitive data that runs across these networks because of their virtualised architecture.
Leveraging the proven security and performance of the hardware-based SafeNet High Speed Encryptor family, the SafeNet Virtual Encryptor CV1000 is a hardened virtual security appliance designed to secure data in motion across both software-defined wide area networks (SD-WAN) and traditional networks. Developed by Gemalto’s high speed encryption partner, Senetas, the SafeNet Virtual Encryptor CV1000 can encrypt data in motion at data-rates up to 5 Gbps.
“More and more organisations are embracing the advantages of virtualised networks to deliver cost-effective scalability, flexibility and network management to the network edge. Consequently, network services require trusted virtualised encryption for optimum data security,” said Todd Moore, Senior Vice President of Encryption Products at Gemalto.
“Gemalto’s launch of a virtualised network encryption platform redefines network data security by providing the crypto-agility required to ensure sensitive data and transmissions remain secure, regardless of network design.”
Transforming the network encryption market, SafeNet High Speed Encryptors are the first to offer transport independent mode, which enables organisations to encrypt data across mixed high-speed WAN links (Layers 2, 3 and 4).
Organisations can now be assured they are getting the best performance and secure encryption, regardless of the network layer. This feature is currently available for the SafeNet Virtual Encryptor CV1000 and will be available for the hardware-based SafeNet High Speed Encryptors later this year.
“As organisations increasingly embrace cloud-based applications and their use of multiple network types from Ethernet to MPLS, Senetas and Gemalto are ahead of the curve in providing seamless concurrent multi-layer network traffic encryption to ensure the best in network security and performance available today,” said Andrew Wilson, CEO of Senetas.
Key features and benefits of the SafeNet Virtual Encryptor CV1000 include:
- Virtualised network functionality reduces dependence on dedicated network encryption hardware appliances for both enterprises and network operators
- Reduced cost of ownership makes the SafeNet Virtual Encryptor CV1000 up to 10 times more affordable than hardware-based appliances
- Rapid deployment and scalability enables organisations to spin up a virtual machine to protect data across the network rather than having to physically deploy hardware at each end point
- Crypto-agile encryption across all network layers with transport independent mode, providing the ability to encrypt traffic across layers two, three and four with optimised performance and robust encryption, including support for custom algorithms
- Combined Encryption Key Management option, integrates with SafeNet KeySecure for enhanced key lifecycle management