A total of 1034 isolated locations in the Amazon, many of them on the border, have for the first time accessed satellite Internet service in the regions of Loreto, Ucayali, Madre de Dios and Amazonas.
This is thanks to the Conecta Selva initiative of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MTC).
According to figures reported by the National Telecommunications Program (Pronatel), attached to the MTC, 2,093,405 connections were generated, of which 97.6% correspond to educational institutions.
Almost all of the connections were made in schools, which shows that the initiative promotes digital inclusion in the country and generates greater opportunities for children and young people in remote areas.
In Loreto, 701 locations were reached, in Ucayali 236, in Madre de Dios 63, and in Amazonas 21. Regarding connections generated, 65.2% were recorded in Loreto (1,365,738). The remaining 34.8% corresponds to connections in Ucayali (575,747), Amazonas (81,827) and Madre de Dios (70,093).
The Executive Director of Pronatel, Edgard Velarde, reported that the residents of the town of Santa Rosa, in the district and province of Padre Abad, in Ucayali, recorded 7,916 connections, the highest among the four regions where Conecta Selva intervenes.
The MTC launched Conecta Selva in 2022, as this initiative seeks to reduce the digital gap and promote digital literacy and technological inclusion of the rural population.Click below to share this article