Finavia is a state-owned enterprise with 2800 employees and 25 airports in Finland and an air navigation system covering the entire country. Helsinki Airport is the largest airport in Finland and a major gateway between Europe and Asia due to its excellent geographical location. Finavia needed an upgrade for the CCTV system in the Helsinki Airport due to terminal extension. There were challenges with respect to the use, administration and maintenance of the old, heterogeneous CCTV system. The integration of different systems together with a video system, e.g. a baggage handling system, was a requirement for the project. Teleste’s solution was selected because the Teleste VMX system met all of the technical and functional criteria set by Finavia. Matrix integration and viewing for external users were important features as well as the possibility to integrate multiple systems together.
- To get a flexible and scalable system.
- To provide open system architecture that allows for integration with other systems, such as baggage handling system, Bosch Allegient video matrixes, access control system.
- To provide hybrid system (analogue/IP).
- To provide centralised system administration and easy-to-use software for operators along with flexible administration of external users.
- To provide multi-casting for efficient network capacity use.
- To provide cost-effectiveness in the long-term.
Solution to customer’s need:
- The system integrates multiple networks: Finavia’s operational network at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport (no separate CCTV network), multi-vendor Gigabit Ethernet network and external users in separate networks.
- Redundancy, i.e. the system is not vulnerable to the failure of one component, e.g. redundant servers.
- Integrated with analogue video matrixes, luggage control and access control system, options for additional types of integration left open.
- High-quality, low-latency video for internal users and web-based video viewing for external users (e.g. airlines).
- Centralised and flexible user rights management with user-specific GUI views (GUI set according to the user and his/her needs).
- Open and scalable video management system.
- Standard-based, future-proof solution.
– More than 850 cameras (and expanding).
– Centralised recording.
– 25 Clients (operator stations with GUI and SW decoding).
– 4 surveillance centres.
– 4 surveillance points.
– >20 external users.
Customer comments / quotation:
“We have been very satisfied with the Teleste VMX video system. The system is simple for operators to handle and integration with other systems such as access control and luggage control systems has greatly improved work efficiency at Helsinki-Vantaa airport. We can now serve our customers, such as airlines, better through flexible viewing of videos when needed. Teleste VMX also enhances aviation safety and security.”
– Mr Ari Kumara, Head of Airport Security, Helsinki Airport.
Click below to share this article