Equinix, the global interconnection and data centre company and a Gold-level member of the Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN), has announced a significant expansion of its dedicated, private access to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) to 16 additional Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centres in North America and Europe. As a part of the expansion, customers can now easily and privately connect to OCI using Oracle Cloud Infrastructure FastConnect within the Equinix FR5 IBX data centre in Frankfurt via dedicated cross connects and the Equinix Cloud Exchange™ (ECX). Additionally, the Oracle and Equinix partner and platform integration now provides connectivity to OCI FastConnect via ECX to customers in eight new metros in North America and seven new metros in Europe.
The expansion brings the total number of Equinix IBX data centres, where Oracle FastConnect is deployed, to six total number of locations where connectivity to FastConnect is available globally to 18 metros.
- New North American metros, where access to OCI FastConnect is now available via ECX, include Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Silicon Valley and Toronto. This adds to the existing North American OCI FastConnect deployment at Equinix in Washington, D.C.
- In addition to Frankfurt, new European metros where OCI FastConnect is now available via ECX include Amsterdam, Dublin, London, Manchester, Paris, Stockholm and Zurich.
- This expansion will enable enterprise customers across North America and Europe to migrate and run compute applications and data workloads to Oracle Cloud in a high-throughput, scalable manner that delivers consistent and predictable performance. This marks a significant investment in the Equinix and Oracle relationship, building upon Oracle’s highly successful and growing OCI FastConnect Classic service previously launched in 2015 and deployed in Equinix IBX data centres in Amsterdam, Chicago, London, Sydney and Washington, D.C.
- Whether a customer requires direct connection to Oracle as part of a broader interconnection strategy, or if they need to migrate data-heavy applications to the cloud, connection to OCI inside Equinix is a highly scalable solution for many enterprise users. It can further a customer’s efforts to address increasing data privacy and other regulatory requirements and general data sovereignty concerns.
- Interconnection is paramount for companies across North America and Europe. In fact, according to the Global Interconnection Index, a market study published recently by Equinix stated that the U.S. is the largest and most advanced region for Interconnection Bandwidth growth, with 82 percent of enterprises’ bandwidth expected to be dedicated to Interconnection to networks and cloud by 2020. The Index also found that Interconnection Bandwidth in Europe is expected to grow by 44 percent per annum to reach 1,450+ Tbps by 2020. Europe’s growth in Interconnection will be driven by a number of factors, including data sovereignty and the need for European businesses to exchange information with other businesses and services, like Oracle, in-region.
- Oracle Cloud delivers nearly 1,000 SaaS applications and 50 enterprise-class PaaS and IaaS services to customers in more than 195 countries around the world, and supports 55 billion transactions each day.