Digital business initiatives like automation and Artificial Intelligence demand high-performance and massive capacity storage. In turn, this is driving adoption of on-premises all-flash object storage to provide customers’ top need — comprehensive data protection at scale. That’s according to a new research paper from Enterprise Strategy Group and Scality, the object storage pioneer. The full report, The Digital Era Is Fueling Adoption of All-Flash Object Storage, is available for download here.
ESG’s prior research found that AI/ML and analytics are the business differentiators IT needs. Accordingly, 64% of IT decision-makers using AI/ML expect to increase spending in 2021.
To meet the AI challenge, the report finds that IT leaders are transitioning their data storage ecosystems to run on all-flash object storage, encroaching on the territory of traditional primary storage solutions. All-flash object storage powers the heavy workloads necessitated by these initiatives by quickly giving access to large volumes of unstructured data.
The most significant all-flash object storage benefits include accelerating AI/ML environments, empowering business intelligence/analytics, increasing infrastructure performance and utilisation, and improved application development.
The report finds:
- 77% of IT professionals at organisations currently using all-flash object storage say the technology has had a high impact or has been a game-changing technology in their on-prem storage environment.
- Similarly, among organisations using or interested in all-flash object storage, 77% say new workloads or initiatives are driving demand for it.
Rapid adoption has already begun:
- 95% of respondents are using flash storage within all or part of their object storage environments; 23% say they already have an all-flash object storage solution.
- 87% of respondents at organisations not using all-flash object storage today expect to evaluate an on-premises all-flash object storage solution within the next 12 months.
- 57% of respondents ranked data protection and reliability as a highly important attribute of all-flash object storage solutions; 23% ranked performance as a top attribute.